Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Life in the Time of Coronavirus

I don't mean to make light of all of the people who have died or lost their jobs and whatnot because of coronavirus but these are just my thoughts on this time of life.

Here's what I am enjoying the most from this time in quarantine.

1. Antifragility. This is hard for me to phrase properly but basically this whole experience makes me call to mind the book Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. The whole concept of improving during stressful times. I joke that coronavirus cured my depression but when a global pandemic is going on and everyone is ordered to stay at home it changes up the quotidian routine of life. Things like going for a walk or drive in the car to nowhere can become really fun.

2. Commonly shared extreme circumstance. This is kind of like the first one but just in general, things I never would do pre-corona like watch the news are suddenly very interesting to me! I, like the rest of Ohio, love Dewine's little 2pm updates. I love talking to people in different states about their current "restrictions". This is the first time in my lifetime I can recall people in so many different countries going through the same thing at a similar time.

3. Distancing socially. I LOVE all of the creative socializing. I love all the zoom game nights, drive by parades or birthday shout outs, across the street picnics, netflix watching parties, and virtual happy hours. My big is having a 17 hour virtual birthday party, if it weren't for COVID-19 when would we ever get this?? I'm super excited for it!

4. The internet. I'm obsessed with TikToks of families quarantining together. The internet is just great right now, the tweets, the pictures of people outside hospitals holding signs welcoming a new baby because they can't visit, the free workout classes, shows, DJ sets, and all forms of entertainment. Also the new MJ doc.

5. Being able to church hop across the country. Thinking about missing being able to go to Mass and receive the sacraments is heartbreaking BUT I've totally loved getting to attend virtual Mass at my favorites churches or places I haven't been to before because of the livestreams. So far I've enjoyed Fr. Mattingly & the COAH one, St. Catharine's, St. Pats, Fr. Mike, and St. John Cantius (the prettiest church I've been to in the states). For Holy Week I got to watch some of the little sisters of the lamb's (my favorite nuns ever from KC) liturgies and just loved that! I miss them so much. It's also cool because Bren & I can livestream the same Mass we didn't normally go to the same Mass pre-corona.

6. Quarantine Things. Basically all of the things people are doing that they wouldn't normally do like the bread making. I've been working on this dog puzzle, it looks like it's sold out everywhere pretty much besides Amazon now. I used to think puzzles were pointless but I'm really into this one, maybe because of the dogs? I'm going to frame it as a quarantine memory when I'm done.

I also had a 2 person Christmas party, tie dyed some stuff, have been trying to do daily walks, switched to ordering groceries from Instacart, did one of those Hello Fresh discount trials, and have been showering way less. Also food / drinks to go is still a fun novelty. Def want to switch to only ordering groceries online after this.


I've also never made a cocktail in my life unless you count mixing Gatorade and vodka or sparkling water and vodka BUT thank goodness for quarantine because I made these cranberry old-fashioneds for my 2 person Christmas party and they were SO good. Here is what I used in case anyone else wants to make them.

Mix the following
  • 1 shot of bourbon (I used Bulleit)
  • 1/2 shot simple syrup (I used a vanilla ginger kind)
  • 2 shakes bitters (angostura)
  • Cranberry juice (however much you want to add, I did like 3 shots)
Add 
  • 1 big square ice cube
  • 1 rosemary sprig



7. Slow pace. I feel like my preferred way of spending my time is finally encouraged. I love having days & weekends where there are no set plans and you can just decide what you want to do. It feels nice to be "required" to stay home so it takes away any feeling of guilty or non productive by reading or going on leisurely walks. 

When something is taken away it causes you to appreciate things you previously took for granted. It would be cool if after this (who knows when that will be btw) once a year there is like a week or two when everyone is required to stay home so they can appreciate things like seeing friends, going to restaurants, church, workout classes, stores, etc.

I will honestly be sad when this is over because we might not be able to do it again (lol if there is a stay at home thing for over a year, I might not be as loving it as much then but who knows)

Maybe I'll post the things I am most looking forward to in a different post because this is feeling long. Let me know your favorite quarantine things!

1 comment:


  1. Church hop, yes!
    I love hitting all the timezones for worship/sermons.

    ReplyDelete